Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thoughts

I think that I may be very interested in the stuff going on at the Metaphysics Research Lab (see link on the right).

I have also started a list of the the philosophers which I think that I like:
Heraclitus
Nietzsche
Wittgenstein
(and therefore I should probably familiarize myself with Schopenhauer)
Clifford
Heidegger?
Sartre

Also, on another note, I have been thinking of my aversion to faith. The problem with 20th century philosophy is that while I consider myself more of an empiricist than a rationalist I would not consider myself particularly amicable toward analytic philosophy. This means that in some way I am still holding on to the transcendent and, depending on the system one wants to use to look at the world, 'reason' does not seem to be able to bridge the gap between the world and the transcendent and is something one must reach through faith. This leaves me feeling somewhat sick. I wonder if my resistence to faith is simply because of the common meaning attached to the word or, is it faith itself and, that I think there must be some sort of reasoned and justified way of getting to metaphysical structures.

No comments: