Monday, November 26, 2007

Relative and Objective

I realize that the last two posts contain postions for both relativity and objectivity. This is not inconsistent. Let me see if I can work this through...

There are two different types of objectivity needed by human beings. Concepts (like ethics) for which we need an objective foundation are relative to all of humanity. As stated before, it is actually this relativity that provides objectivity. The second type of objectivity relates to the 'physical world' and not to ideas or concepts. This objectivity creates for mankind assurance that you and I will both experience a 'dog' as a dog even if those experiences vary somewhat. There is some amount of overlap in the types of objectivity but my train of thought has been lost so I will have to elaborate on that at another time.

No comments: